Thesis Title: Experiential Manufacturing: Designing Meaningful Relationships Between people, Data, and Things
Horizon CDT/Mixed Reality Lab
University of Nottingham
09.2009 – 09.2014
MA Design – Critical Practice
09.2006 – 09.2007.
BA (hons) Three Dimensional Design
University of Portsmouth.
2002 – 2005.
- Design Informatics, University of Edinburgh
Post Doctoral Research Fellow: 07.01.2014 – Present
Based in Design Informatics, Edinburgh College of Art, I am currently a researcher on the Learning Energy Systems project. This multidisciplinary research project uses design research and co-design methods to investigate the energy systems of two schools, and explore the relationships between people, objects, data, machines and architecture.
- Institute for Boundary Interactions
Co-founder / Designer: 2010 – present
The Institute for Boundary Interactions [IBI] is an interdisciplinary research collective that uses science, technology, art and design to explore the complex connections between people, places and things.
For more information on our work and upcoming exhibitions, please visit: boundaryinteractions.org.
- University of Nottingham, Horizon CDT
Ph.D. (Pending): 09.2009 – 09.2013
I was a Ph.D. candidate at Nottingham University’s Horizon Digital Economy Research Hub, and Mixed Reality Lab where I conducted design lead research into how data about our experiences might be used to shape the material qualities of objects so that they are better able to reflect our personal experiences and tell stories about our past.
- Active Ingredient
I worked with Active Ingredient in collaboration with Horizon and the MET Office on the concept design, prototyping and development of data driven installations for the projects A Conversation Between Trees and Timestreams.
Associate / Interaction Designer
I continued to be involved in the development of various projects with Superflux, working primarily on concept development, product design, prototyping and hardware development.
2010 – 2014
- Superflux – Design Intern.
I worked with Superflux on a variety of projects from research into ecosystem degradation in India, to hardware hacking and prototyping physical interfaces.
07.2010 – 10.2010
- Microsoft Research Cambridge – Interaction Design Consultant.
After the PhotoBox project was chosen to be the subject of a long term field research study, I joined the Socio-Digital Systems team as a design consultant. During this time I lead the development of the prototypes and consulted on the system that would finally be deployed with our volunteers.
Part of this time was also spent working on new projects within the Technology Heirlooms research theme.
20.04.2009 – 17.06.2009.
- Microsoft Research Cambridge – Interaction Design Intern
Interaction design internship at the Microsoft Research Lab in Cambridge working within the Computer Mediated Living group as part of the Socio-Digital Systems team.
I worked on a self-initiated project, Technology Heirlooms: Excavating Digital Archives, involving research and analysis of domestic archiving practices in order to develop products and systems that enable new and more meaningful ways of excavating and persisting digital archives.
12.01.2009 – 03.04.2009.
- Etre – User Experience Design Intern
During this internship I wrote a report detailing practical and actionable interaction and user experience design recommendations for the eCommerce checkout process. Writing the report involved analysing user testing and eye tracking research conducted by Etre, existing best practices. I was also able to assist in user testing sessions.
- Paul Cocksedge Studio – Intern & Part Time
I was part of the Light as Air project team, from the early stages through to the show installation. This involved the development and manufacture of limited edition lighting sculptures, and exhibition set up. I was also involved in the manufacture and development of various products and exhibitions, including Private View, an installation at the Milan Furniture Fair 2007, and a limited edition black styrene lamp shade for Materialism at Gallery Fumi for the 2008 London design Festival.
2005 – 2008.
- Tracing Mobility: Cartography and Migration in Networked Space
Haus Der Kulturen Der Welt, Berlin
23.11.2011 – 12.12.2011
Camera Explora was part of this group exhibition featuring about 20 works from an international group of artists on the theme of cartography and migration in networked space.
- LAB : Sideshow Residency
Surface Gallery, Nottingham
27.11.2010 – 17.12.2010.
LAB were invited take up residency at Surface Gallery for four weeks, transforming their Project Space into a temporary cultural laboratory. Inviting a number of Artists, Scientists and specialists from a variety of backgrounds as well as members of the public, to work in the Laboratory.
- Tracing Mobility: Territorial Play
Broadway Media Centre, Nottingham, UK.
14 – 16.05.2010.
Camera Explora was exhibited as part installation and part live participation activity for Radiator ‘s Tracing Mobility programme.
No. 1 The Piazza, Covent Garden.
Photographic Memories at the Goldsmiths MA Design – Critical Practice exhibition during the London Design Festival 2007, and in association with Casa Decor.
- Evoking Emotion Symposium. Organised by the Design & Emotion Society and Radar, Loughborough University Arts.
- Late labs: The Internet of Things That Matter. Edinburgh International Science Festival, in collaboration with New Media Scotland and the University of Edinburgh’s School of Informatics.
- Beyond Personal Informatics, CHI 2016
- Studio Course: Transactions
3rd Year Product Design, Edinburgh college of Art. Semester 1, 2015.
Skills and Methods
- Concept development / Creative Ideation
- Storyboarding / scenario design
- Drawing / sketching
- 3D prototyping and fabrication (Tools: Solidworks / AutoCad / 3d printing / laser cutting / wood / plastic / metal work)
- Hardware prototyping / electronics (Circuit design and making / hacking)
- Physical Computing (Tools: Arduino / Processing / Electric Imp / Raspberry Pi)
- Practice based research methods (User deployment / interview / analysis) Documentation (Photography / Video editing. Tools: Photoshop / Premier Pro / Final Cut pro)
- Visual communication and Presentation ( Photoshop / Illustrator / InDesign / Powerpoint / online documentation)
- Design research methods including; Field Deployment, design provocations, Intervews, Diary Studies, Experience Prototyping, Workshops.